The Press Officer - fulfils a supranational function within the EPP Group Secretariat, and assists all EPP
Members of the European Parliament in carrying out their duties, particularly as regards information
and communication activities.
Application open until : 29 July 2019 Timing written and oral tests : September/October Candidates shortlisted by : October
About the EPP group
The Group of the European People's Party (Christian Democrats) (EPP) is the largest political group in the European Parliament. It brings together centre and centre-right pro-European political forces from the Member States of the EU, coming together to advance the goal of a more competitive and democratic Europe, closer to its citizens, and a social market economy. Its multinational secretariat provides political, administrative and technical support to its MEPs.
The Press and Communications Directorate ensures the dissemination of the political priorities of the EPP Group to the media and the general public.
The Press Officer - fulfils a supranational function within the EPP Group Secretariat, and assists all EPP Members of the European Parliament in carrying out their duties, particularly as regards information and communication activities.
The main tasks of the Press Officer are:
- Communicating between the EPP Group and the Croatian media and authorities;
- Preparing press releases, notes and publications on subjects in their field of expertise;
- Drafting documents for the media;
- Following of the legislative work of parliamentary committees;
- Organising and following up meetings with journalists and other interlocutors;
- Contributing in communication activity necessary for the smooth running of the Group.
These duties require a good knowledge of the European Union, its institutions and policies and of the political systems within the European Union’s Member States, and in particular a very good knowledge of the Croatian political system.
The post of Press Officer in the Secretariat of the EPP Group requires great availability (high frequency of meetings, irregular working hours), flexibility, judgement, a methodical approach, discretion, adaptability to varying workloads, as well as the capacity for teamwork in an international environment. Suitable candidates must, amongst other things, be capable of grasping wide-ranging problems and of responding rapidly to changing circumstances.
Frequent travel outside the place of work is required, in particular several days per month in Strasbourg during the plenary session.
Candidates must have:
- a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least four years attested by a diploma;
- at least three years’ university-level relevant professional experience similar to the duties as described in the job description;
- for work purpose, candidates must have a thorough knowledge of Croatian language;
- a very good knowledge of English is required for this position;
- a good knowledge of a third EU language will be considered as an asset;
- excellent oral and written communication skills;
- a good knowledge of media relations; o familiarity with new communications' technology;
- working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
Compensation & benefits
- Health insurance;
- Accident insurance;
- Unemployment insurance;
- Personal and family allowances.
General admission conditions
CANDIDATES MUST FULFIL THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS (art. 12(2) of the CEOS):
- be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union;
- enjoy their full rights as a citizen ( have no criminal record);
- have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the laws concerning military service;
- meet the character requirements for the duties involved;
Please click here for further information about CEOS
The EPP Group ensures that applicants' personal data are processed in line with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data, particularly as regards their confidentiality and security and repealing Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 and Decision No 1247/2002/EC.
INSTRUCTIONS TO THE CANDIDATES
Under no circumstances should candidates approach the Selection Committee themselves, either directly or indirectly, concerning this recruitment procedure. It reserves the right to disqualify any candidate who disregards this instruction.
2. SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS REQUIRED
Candidates must provide the Selection Committee with all the information and documents it needs to verify the accuracy of the information given on the application form.
Qualifications, professional experience as well as linguistic knowledge must be set out in detail in the application form and must be accompanied by supporting documents.
Please note that the Selection Committee will base its decisions solely on the information given on the application form and substantiated by the supporting documents attached to it. The qualifications and professional experience which are not proved by supporting document(s) will not be taken into account.
Candidates must attach to the application form the copies of the following documents:
- secondary education and post-secondary education diploma(s);
- employment contracts (if applicable, both the initial contract and additional clauses in case of a fixed-term contract) or certificates, letters or attestations of appointment, indicating the exact nature of the activity performed and clearly indicating the start and end dates of periods of professional experience; (Please note that the traineeships, even paid ones, are not taken into account as professional experience);
- in the case of current professional activity, a copy of the most recent salary slip to enable the Selection Committee to calculate the length of professional experience;
- in the case of self-employed activity: tax forms, VAT forms, trade register, social security documents, invoices, etc., to prove the professional experience; o documents proving the knowledge of the languages (certificates and diplomas). All claims regarding the candidate’s linguistic knowledge must be backed up by certificates and diplomas. In the absence of such documents, candidates must clearly explain, on a separate sheet, how they acquired this knowledge;
- ID card or Passport.
Please note that the documents proving professional experience must be accompanied by an unofficial translation in either English, French or German.
3. HOW TO APPLY
If you wish to apply for this position, please:
- Complete in English the online application form available on our website: www.eppgroup.eu/careers or via the URL link available at the end of this document. (Should you encounter any problems with the opening of the URL links included in this document, please download it first on your device.)
- Upload your photo in JPEG, PNG or GIF format (maximum size is 500 KB).
- Upload in PDF format a table of contents;
Note that each page of the supporting documents attached to your application must be numbered and one single table of contents giving a description of each document and the corresponding page number(s) must be included.
- Upload in PDF format the supporting documents grouped into 5 separate files:
- Proof of education (copy of your diplomas & other certificates),
- Proof of professional experience,
- Proof of linguistic knowledge,
- ID card/Passport
- Other documents (for any other documents you would like to share).
Note that the maximum size of attachment is 5 MB per file.
Candidates with a physical disability are requested to enclose on a separate sheet, the details of any arrangements they may consider necessary to help them take the tests (to be uploaded under “Other document”).
5. Click on the “Submit” button. You will receive shortly afterwards an acknowledgement email confirming that we have received your application.
The address indicated by the candidate in the application form will be considered as the location from which the candidate will depart to travel to the place of the tests. It is the candidate's responsibility to inform the Selection Committee's secretariat in writing to the here under e-mail address, and in due time, of any change in personal data and/or address.
All correspondence relating to the selection procedure, including the invitation to the tests will be sent to the e-mail address indicated by the candidate in the application form.
Any urgent communication from the candidates must be transmitted to the Selection Committee's secretariat by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Candidates are asked NOT TO TELEPHONE.
4. ADMISSION TO THE SELECTION PROCEDURE AND THE TESTS
The selection procedure will be organised on the basis of qualifications and tests (written and oral).
1. The Selection Committee will draw up a list of the candidates who have submitted applications in the form required and by the closing date.
2. Candidates who:
- do not meet the conditions for admission and job requirements;
- do not duly complete the online application form;
- do not attach the required supporting documents proving their qualifications, professional experience or remove/black out any content of supporting documents;
- do not include an unofficial translation of all supporting documents proving their professional experience either in English, French or German;
- do not attach a copy of the ID card/Passport;
will be eliminated
3. The Selection Committee will consider the applications, draw up the list of candidates who meet the job requirements, and select, on the basis of previously established criteria, a maximum of 5 candidates whose qualifications and duly attested periods of professional experience best match the tasks to be carried out, who will be admitted to the tests. It will base its decision on the information given on the application form and substantiated by the supporting documents attached to it.
4. Candidates will receive an e-mail informing them of the Selection Committee’s decision on whether to admit them to the tests
5. If, at any stage in the procedure, it is established that the information given in your application form is incorrect or is not substantiated by supporting documents, or that all the conditions set out in the recruitment notice are not met, you will be disqualified.
6. The tests will consist of 3 written tests to be carried out in English and an oral test. Only the candidates invited to the tests will receive detailed information on the nature, duration and scoring of the tests.
5. INCLUSION ON THE LIST OF SUITABLE CANDIDATES
The Selection Committee will draw up a list of suitable candidates from among those who have obtained at least 60% of the points for the tests as a whole (written and oral combined) and have obtained the minimum mark required for each of them. The best scored candidates will be listed in order of merit.
6. CONDITIONS OF RECRUITMENT
Candidates included on the list of suitable candidates will be eligible to be recruited as the need arises in the EPP Group. Recruitment will be at grade AD5 and one post is to be filled in. 7 The list of suitable candidates will have an initial validity of two years. It can be extended. If so, the candidates on the list will be duly informed. Short-listed candidates who are offered a job will in due course be required to produce the originals of their diploma(s), degree(s) and employment certificates for verification.
Link to the online application form: https://resourcemanager15906b93296.secure.force.com/cxsrec__cxsSearchApply?positionId=a0t1n000004ModDAAS&formId =a000Y00000DHqQXQA1